As a business owner, commercial executive or manager, one of your main drives and ambition is to grow business. It is an ABC that you can grow by up- and cross-sell with your existing customer, and, or, contract new customers. Contracting new customers is all about converting your leads into contracts. It would help if you had leads to close contracts.
Although this is very much an Always Be Closing remark, this is still very true. It would help if you had leads to fulfil your growth ambition.
Leads, the magic word in marketing and sales. We all need leads. We can write tons of words on how valuable and relevant, strong or weak the leads are. But first, we need them. So, where do you get your leads from?
In general, we see a lot of companies still depending on some old fashioned, traditional methods, cold calling, events and relations. Nothing wrong there, but… you need to take a couple of things into consideration:
1. Cold calling
This is a real traditional method. A lot of companies buy a list of companies they want to business with, and with a hopefully appealing pitch start calling. Some companies will have their sales do the calling. Our advice: stop immediately with that highly inefficient method! If you do want to do cold calling, do three things:
- Hire a specialized agency
- Target your audience
- Build a real appealing pitch for that audience
Your potential customer is somewhere out there, but for sure, he must be at an event of some kind. At least, that is a general opinion. Companies tend to spend tons of money on hiring a booth and put people in that booth. And honestly, your potential customer is sometimes there, but be sensible! Before wasting a lot of time and money in a sponsoring and having a booth, consider this:
- Is the event really relevant for your target audience?
- Do you have the ability to present there?
- Does it fit your content strategy (more about that later)?
- Do you have enough time to prepare for the event?
- What will be your messaging there?
- Do you have people loving booth people?
- Have a surprise to attract people
- Set goals in for MQL’s and SQL’s
- What if,….., you would have some salespeople walking around?
These methods still work. One better than the other. The world is changing rapidly, and so is lead generation. Over 60% of the buyer’s journey is online. So it would help if you were online too.
Want to know how….? Contact us
Yes… the most powerful marketing tool in the world, your happy customer or relation, you cannot go wrong here. The trick here, however, is to build a predictable flow of new contacts and leads from references. There are a couple of things that can help:
- Build reference cases as a story and share them
- Keep your relations informed
- Maintain your network, call, meet, lunch, WhatsApp or mail, but stay in touch
- You might think of a referral system; better is to surprise them
- And…. Start using social media!